Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back in the day...

So today, in my 5 minutes of free time i realized i still have my old box of Legos under my bed.For you young whippersnappers with your doo-dads and gizmos, Legos were colored blocks that stuck together to make fantastic things.

Anyhoo, this got me thinking. I'll be 16 in July, and it was only 6 years ago that i was running around my yard with my buddies, pretending that our sticks were swords and playing with Legos up in my room. 6 years ago.

6 years.

I don't know why this all hit me today...but in 6 years i'll be 21, in about 2 years i'll legally be an adult. Woah.

In 2 years i'll be off at college.

Woah.

Hell, i've still got some old Nerf guns in my closet.

Remember those?

Jesus. I'm growing up.

Woah.

But i'm not complaining! Because this are different now, but not necessarily any worse. True, things are a helluva lot more complicated now, and there are some pretty low Lows. But there's also some pretty high Highs.

"Only a teenage Wasteland"

Moving on, kids are incredibly busy these days. Take my day for example. I was up until 12:30am studying for my Government class, woke up at 6, went to school, came home, got a haircut, went to see my girlfriend, came back home, practiced guitar, ate dinner, went out to the store to buy clothes, and now i'm here. Good day.

However! Back in the '50s all kids needed to worry about was going blind from too much 'happy hands'. Christianity. Morals. Wonderbread. Mayonnaise. Jello. Good stuff like that.

Nowadays kids that are 14 or 15 years old are getting pregnant.

Now that's fucked up.

But i suppose that's just the world we live in, and honestly, it scares me sometimes that drugs and sex and all sorts of illicit and illegal stuff is such an accepted part of day to day life.

But am i complaining? Nah. Just thinking i suppose.

At any rate, i can at least thank God, or whatever higher power you believe in for good music, good friends, and one special girl.

Here's your song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRtHd7UdYA

"Juliet, when we made love, you used to cry.
You said, "I love you like the stars above, I'll love you 'til I die".
There's a place for us, you know the movie song.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?"

Peace

~Sam

3 comments:

  1. "Gonna let it rock
    Let it roll
    Let the Bible belt come down
    And save my soul
    Hold on to 16 as lang as you can
    Changes comin round real soon
    Make us women and men"

    At 14 I was listening to Journey (before they sucked), Zep, Black Sabbath, and Duran Duran (yeah, you read that right). I thought 16 would never come. I was oh-so freaking wrong, it came fast and hard and was left in the tail lights of 22. All I can say is that it comes and goes real damn fast. Enjoy the moments and really live each one so someday the memories will make you smile.

    ps. give your old man a hug more often than you want or he can handle...those are the moments we all remember and cherish no matter what our ages.

    later

    mikeZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. And Journey's pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so you remember that day that i told you that i cried over the littlest things sometimes?

    yeah.

    ReplyDelete